“Nakaochi Scrape” is the backmeat that shaved off of fish bones and then added to sushi products such as ground yellowfin tuna. After eating sushi rolls that contained this product, two Wisconsin women became severely sick. The restaurant had received the yellowfin tuna from India and it was packaged as safe. However, the prosecution claims that the restaurants may not know they are selling contaminated products as distributors may remove the packaging label before delivering it.
Salmonella leads to fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps within three days and goes away within a week, usually. The two women however sustained infections far more severe, and even required hospital attention. One woman was diagnosed with an ulcerated colon, which she blames on the Nakaochi Scrape that she ate.
Cases of these kind usually fall under product liability laws and thus anyone in the supply chain can be held liable depending on the source of contamination. Scientific evidence proves that the plaintiffs were made sick by a rare type of bacteria called Salmonella Bareilly.