A mother who lost two children in a Norfolk fire two years ago is suing Myron Kooi. Her children died in the Kooi home after tree debris underneath the home’s deck was ignited by the disposal of a cigarette.
The suit claims that Kooi was negligent. He failed to supply, install, maintain and test smoke detectors at the residence. She is seeking damages for funeral expenses and damages to the children (pain and suffering, and bodily injury). Additionally, she is seeking compensation for loss of companionship, care, comfort, etc. A pre-trial conference was set for July 12.